Monday, May 23, 2016

Florence "Flora" Dawson

Florence "flora" Dawson was born in Hopkins. She told me a lot about herself, after some small talk we got deeper into the discussion when I asked her about her childhood. She grew up with a lower class family with four older brothers. Being the only girl made her feel like she was the odd one out. She spent most of her days collecting many common household objects. "I have hundreds of clocks in my house. I just like collecting things that people have used, I don't like expensive antiques." When she was very young she was one of the first people to get infected with E-Coli when there was an outbreak in Minnesota. She almost died from it, and because of that she became vegan at 15 because she did not like eating animal products. She was a big fan of the band the Grateful Dead (and Bob Marley) she loved them very much. So much that she followed them on two of their national tours. After she returned to Minnesota she went to college and earned a degree in psychology at the University of Minnesota. She worked at a care center for sexually abused children. She had to quit her job after she had a child, Richard. She went through a divorce soon after. The divorce was very difficult for her She raised her kid and then she had to get another job.  She became the manager at a retail store. She spends most of her time working on her garden. She is very considerate of others, she greets everyone warmly when she is working on her garden."I believe in accepting people for who they are." She even has benches out on her garden to help people who are having trouble walking. Most of her garden is edible, she hope it can provide for some people. After Rich went to college, Flora got a new job. at her local co-op. Florence is a very kind, warm person.



  • The challenge was knowing what the questions were right to ask, I wanted to dig deeper into her story without being to upfront about it.
  • Getting her to talk a lot about herself, she opened up to me almost right away
  • That she was a "dead-head" I am a huge Grateful Dead fan so to meet someone who followed them on their tour was exciting
  • If I could do it differently I would take more pictures at different angles, her garden is amazing. There is at least 20 wind chimes and about a hundred plants.
  • I learned that divorce can be very hard for some people, financially and emotionally
  • I learned that everyone has their own struggles, you shouldn't judge anybody too quickly without understanding their situation.
  • I was so intrigued by her garden, and I saw her working on it so I took advantage of the opportunity
  • I chose that photo because it's ambiguous. You can't see her face well but you can tell she is very passionate about her garden the way she marvels at her plants. It also includes a good view of her garden and some of her collections.

No comments:

Post a Comment